Wednesday, September 9, 2009

First Hankie Progress

Here I am sitting in Mimo's (my great grandma) wicker rocker, next to her lamp, embroidered pillow and china cabinet in the corner. As the only grandchild, I have been lucky to inherit treasured antiques that I enjoy. My grandmother loved these pieces of furniture. My mother went the modern design route of the early sixties, linear, simple shapes. I love the old pieces. I don't collect much, it's the connection I have with these pieces that I value.

Here is my first hankie. I'm still working on it. As you can see, my stitching is very simple, I would never finish one word if I were doing beautiful script. So far it says, "My left ovary, thank you for keeping me alive. For holding my deepest most ..." I'll catch you up as I go along. The night before my doctor visit, I also had a scare about my husband, which I could feel in my pelvic center. It made me realize that fear is held here as well.

Some of my thinking about art is changing as I work on this project. I used to think of art mostly as an achievement and a commercial endeavor. I am opening to the healing potential of art on a personal level, rather than theoretical. This is a sweet place to be.

I welcome your comments on art and healing.

3 comments:

Amy Kellum said...

WOW! Vicki! I am overwhelmed with your courage and creativity in the midst of this very hard episode. I'll be thinking of you - and will look forward to seeing more hankie art.
Amy Kellum

Robin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robin said...

Yes, YES!!!! "...opening to the healing potential of art on a personal level, rather than theoretical..." That is indeed a sweet place to be and so is your hankie! I look forward to this journal very much. I believe there's healing for all of us, particularly women, in this project.

Hugs, Robin

PS I deleted previous comment because of a typo... generally I let them be, but this one might have caused confusion.